Some must-see TV tonight (and every night this week) with the first of the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures, this year on the topic of a ‘Hi-tech Trek – the Quest for the Perfect Computer’. They’ll be presented by Prof Chris Bishop, Chief Research Scientist at Microsoft Research.
The schedule of programmes is:
- Monday 29 December at 7.15pm Breaking the speed limit
- Tuesday 30 December at 7.15pm Chips with everything
- Wednesday 31 December at 7.15pm The ghost in the machine
- Thursday 1 January at 7.15pm Untangling the web
- Friday 2 January at 7.15pm Digital intelligence
I remember them being on in the morning on Channel 4 (they were on the BBC before that) and more often than not I’d only catch the last 5 minutes, so I approve of the shift to the evening.
There’s a little mini-site to accompany the lectures, with a few games to play.
My favourite bit on the booking form for attending the lectures themselves – “adults must be accompanied by an 11-17 year old”.